Sometimes you just need a snack to hold you over until your next meal. I have made a list of five of my favorite snacks to munch on while I’m trying to limit my calories.
- Fresh green beans: green beans are high in fiber and have a good amount of protein. They also have Vitamin A, C, K, B6 and folic acid and many minerals including iron and calcium. I love to dip them in spicy mustard, barbecue sauce, and a low-fat dressing.
- Popcorn: Air-popped, plain popcorn is a great low-calorie snack. It is high in fiber and antioxidants. It has been shown to regulate blood sugar and lower cholesterol. A cup of popcorn contains 30 calories. I usually put some seasonings on it to reduce my cravings. It surprisingly fills you up very quickly!
- Red bell peppers, cucumbers, and other fresh vegetables with hummus: hummus is a great snack, as it is high in iron, folate, phosphorus and b vitamins. it is a great source of protein and since it usually contains lemon, it is high in vitamin c.
- Yogurt: yogurt is rich in many nutrients including calcium, B vitamins, phosphorus and vitamin D. It helps keeps bones and teeth healthy while also benefitting the immune system. It’s high in protein and contains probiotics. I hate the taste of yogurt, so I always add berries and granola.
- Cottage Cheese: my favorite! Many people hate the feeling of cottage cheese, but I love it! It helps weight loss since it is low in calories and high in protein and calcium. It is said to be a good night time snack to prevent cravings before bed. It is high in b-vitamins, probiotics, calcium and vitamin d. I love to add a nut butter or granola to my cottage cheese!